Wednesday, March 14, 2012

KNOW ABOUT DIALYSIS.

Hi,
I'm not a professional blogger. So you may find a lot of drawbacks in this blog. Please pay no attention to my mistakes.

I've been working as a nurse in my hometown. Hospital- its the HELL ON EARTH right? Absolutely. Because we never go there to rejoice or celebrate. All are either aching or witnessing others' ache. So its quite dreadful. In the early days of my job orientation, I was so devastated to see all the pain and sorrows suffered by others. It took me so long to churn my heart to what it is right now. From my very limited experience I realized one thing, every illness; acute or chronic, severe or minor is a curse indeed in a way or  another. But three most terrible disease conditions among them are Cancer and Liver and Kidney diseases. Because the victims of these diseases die very slowly, suffering the maximum level of pain. Though other conditions like Heart attack and Cardiac arrest are life threatening, their results are comparatively instant- "death or recovery." The earlier ones slowly suck the life, peace and wealth of the patient and his family. Ain't it sad?

My area of work is in the dialysis unit. You all know that its for those unlucky friends who's kidneys no longer work for them. When I was in the college, we had to learn about dialysis. But I hadn't realized how heart touching and painful it is until I got a job in this field. The patients live the life of corps. I mean, they do it to prolong their days, but never to live for ever or to get cured. We can read their emotions on their face and we'll see them silently telling us, "Please kill me. That's the best favour you can ever do for me." No-one can blame them because they only suffer everything throughout the procedure, not the nurse or technician.  The pain starts with a needle prick. Some develop complications like shivering, fever, hypotension, nausea and vomiting. As far as I've known from  patients, the muscle cramps are the worst. They'll scream aloud cursing their own fate. After going back home also, most of them say that they lack energy for their daily activities. HUH! I forgot to mention one of the most serious concern of the kidney patients. Money.... Money rules the world right? So who will be pleased to spend huge amount of money for such a thing that doesn't yield any pleasure. In India, the average expense for a single dialysis is as follows, Dialyzer(Artificial kidney)-850Rupees, Blood tubings-200Rs, Procedure Charge-800Rs, Erythropoietin  Injection for anemia-500 to 1250Rs. So the total expense always crosses at least 2400-3100 Indian Rupees. How can a middle class Indian family afford this? Sometimes its better not to think all these things.

Well I've just begun my blog about Dialysis. In the coming days I'll explain what is dialysis, its indications, procedure, complication and management and everything else. You should add your comments and suggestions to improve my blog. Thanks for reading....

No comments:

Post a Comment